Sunday, October 18, 2009

More Fishy Improvisations




These are all done with ink, brush, pen, gouache and acrylic paint on watercolour paper. The idea is to be as free as possible at first, letting the ink do want it wants, with a bit of help from the wetted paper. Then one can build up the shapes and forms using brush in the eastern Zen style: quickly, spontaneously, freely - hoping something good will happen. The drawings are finished off with gouache and maybe some acrylic paint. The ancient inks I've been using are actually called transparent watercolors, made by an American company that probably no longer exists. I went to my local art shop to see if there was an equivalent product but no luck. I'll try the Windsor and Newton inks soon but I'm not sure whether they'll be as wonderfully transparent as these old ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home